Shop was originally opened in
New Haven, CT on Wall Street in 1934 by Joseph St. John
who came to America from Greece in 1925. Beginning originally as a bookstore, he was also
selling tobacco and mixing his own blends. In 1937, a second store on College Street was
opened by Joseph and his wife Catherine, also of Greek descent. Expanding to having five
stores they decided in 1951 to have everything under one roof, the College Street
location. At the time when the Shubert Theatre was flourishing ....